Summer Professional Semester Showcase • August 7, 2016
August 7, 2016 • 5:30pm & 8pm
Ailey Citigroup Theater
$20 tickets for the Summer Professional Semester Showcase at front desk or below:
$25 at the door
Broadway Dance Center’s Summer Professional Semester offers a powerful opportunity for intensive dance training, pragmatic industry education, invaluable networking functions, and the remarkable chance to learn about the dance industry by working behind the scenes at our Summer PULSE event.
The Program features Master Classes with BDC’s world-renowned and guest Faculty, as well as industry-specific seminars, one-on-one student advising, a series of mock auditions with dance and casting agents, choreography opportunities and free rehearsal space, a closing showcase, and much more. A nurturing atmosphere of concentrated study assists dancers at varying levels of technical study -- we welcome serious students of dance ages 18 through 27. Our highly acclaimed Faculty offers students diverse training of unparalleled distinction, and our staff will assist and guide you as you forge your way. Our support and attention to all dancers is the cornerstone of this program that will, in short, change your life and prepare you to embark on a professional dance career.
Check Out The Successes of Previous Graduates!
|Michelle Mitchenor is a series regular in A&E’s hip-hop crime drama, The Infamous||Emily Stillings made her Broadway debut in The King and I at the Lincoln Center Theater.||Katherine Roarty just finished her run as a the dance captain for the national tour of Flashdance and starred as the Princess in Queen of the Night!||Lizz Picini performed three musicals at the world-renowned Tuacahn Amphitheater, including the world premiere Disney musical, When You Wish.|
- Concentrated week of Orientation activities, including a Placement Class with Faculty Panel, an Injury Prevention Seminar, and more
- One-on-one schedule advising
- Weekly Master Classes or Seminars, which may include "The Biz" with NYC Dance Agent, Résumé and Headshot Workshop, Makeup, Nutrition, Audition-Readiness and Mock Auditions, discipline-specific Master Classes, Faculty Panel Q & A, and Faculty Mentoring. Seminars are held Thursday mornings throughout the course and Master Classes are held Saturday mornings — please reserve these times for your mandatory classes, and do recognize that this program is a significant time commitment.
- Linear series of Mock Audition exercises, concluding with a realistic Mock experience attended by an NYC dance agent
- Summer Pro Sem dancers participate at our blockbuster Summer PULSE event and work (and dance!) alongside world-famous choreographers. Dancers may elect instead to register and attend the Summer PULSE, in which case this requirement would be met by working several hours each week during the rest of the program
- Performance Opportunities and free rehearsal space -- the program concludes with a Showcase at an NYC venue, attended by BDC Faculty and special guests including NYC dance agents. Your friends and family are also welcome to join!
- And, of course, the program’s core is our incomparable schedule of classes, spanning an unmatched number of disciplines and taught by our esteemed Faculty
- Certificate upon successful completion of the program.
- Dancers take 12 classes per week (Monday – Sunday) from our open class schedule. We strongly recommend taking two classes per day.
- After a brief exploratory period, Students will select a Concentration discipline (Jazz, Ballet, Theater, Contemporary, Tap, Hip-Hop), after which the program will comprise:
- Five classes from the Concentration
- Three mandatory ballet classes
- Two diversity requirements (from outside the Concentration)
- Two Electives
- Each dancer must be available for the full four days of our Summer PULSE event in NYC. Students can take one class with the celebrity choreographer of their choosing at this exciting event. PLEASE NOTE: If you are interested in registering for the PULSE Summer, you may still apply for the Summer ProSem — you can participate in the four-day PULSE, but you will then be asked to fulfill this requirement during the rest of your course by spending several hours each week in the PULSE offices.
- The Summer Professional Semester is a serious full-time course of study, so it is imperative that you come prepared to give your program highest priority.
- While we cannot provide housing during your stay, we are happy to suggest reliable and safe ways of securing accommodation — please email us at ProSemester@bwydance.com for a comprehensive list of resources.
- In many cases The Summer Professional Semester may be accepted for college credit – please contact us for a list of universities that grant credit for the program, or speak to the Dance Department representative at your school.
- This program is only available for United States Citizens and Resident Aliens (Green Card holders).
- For international students looking for an advanced level program, please see our ISVP Professional Semester for more information.
Please download and complete the Application Form. We offer rolling admissions and you will be notified of acceptance within three weeks after receipt of your completed application. In composing your short-essay answers and personal statement, we encourage applicants to think outside the box. The caliber of your application package most definitely is a factor in being considered for admission.
Each application must be submitted with the following materials:
- Dance résumé
- Work résumé
- Two letters of recommendation
- Headshot or dance photo
- Personal Statement of 50 words or less
- Concise, well-considered short essay answers to the application questions
- Two minute YouTube or Vimeo URL (please email link to ProSemester@bwydance.com). While BDC is proud to honor various disciplines, ballet is a required component of the course — please demonstrate your technical training or aptitude by displaying one minute of straightforward center ballet-based work (tombé, pas de bourré, glissade, assemblé, tendu fourth, pirouette, land fourth; and a grand jeté or saut de chat for example). The second minute should display your best personal style. Please open your video by introducing yourself and expressing in one or two sentences what you hope to accomplish while studying at BDC.
- $50 Application Fee • Click here to pay by Credit Card
- Once completed, please forward your receipt to ProSemester@bwydance.com
Scan and email all documents to ProSemester@bwydance.com – we do not accept faxed applications. Incomplete applications will not be accepted. Broadway Dance Center will notify you via email upon acceptance — you must have a valid email address.
Or Mail checks/payment information and forms to:
Checks payable to Broadway Dance Center (check or money order)
Broadway Dance Center
Attn: Summer Professional Semester
322 West 45th Street, 3rd Floor
New York, New York 10036
- Tuition for our NINE-week Summer session is $2,250, which includes all classes, seminars, Master Classes, performance opportunities, rehearsals, and counseling sessions.
- If you choose to take additional classes beyond your mandatory 12 per week, you may do so at a reduced class rate, or may extend your work hours in exchange for discounted classes.
- Once you are accepted into the program, a deposit of $1,125 (half tuition) is due within 30 days of acceptance to secure your spot. The remaining balance is due upon starting the program.
- There are no refunds once you have begun the program.
|Session||Start Date||App Deadline
||Acceptance Date||Tuition||End of Program|
|2017||Jun 5, 2017||May 26, 2017||Rolling Admissions||$2,250||Aug 6, 2017|
Please check website regularly — pricing and program structure subject to change. Looking for a longer program? BDC also offers a four month Professional Semester in the Fall and Spring. For more information contact ProSemester@bwydance.com or at the studio at 212-582-9304.
|Mallory Nolting is currently dancing on the 42nd St national tour||Mindy Kendi was a featured dancer in the motion picture The Silver Linings Playbook starring Bradley Cooper, Robert DeNiro, and Jennifer Lawrence, and choreographed by Mandy Moore.||Jenny Laroche was one of the dancers on NBC's hit show "SMASH"!||Taylor Jane Thompson can be seen dancing in the Bang Bang music video.|
|Emma Bennett dances for the renowned Odyssey Dance Theater!||Emily Grace Kersey is dancing in the Flashdance national tour and understudying Gloria.||Gelsey Laurie is playing Constance in The Rock of Ages national tour.||Synthia Link was Dance Captain for the Broadway production of Bullets Over Broadway. Recent credits: Radio City Rockette, SMASH, Broadway's Big Fish and How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying.|
|Corey Rives is performing in The Wizard of Oz national tour and understudying Lion.||Morgan Harrison is dancing in the Flashdance national tour.||Angelisa Crea is currently performing at Walt Disney World||Emily Tanner is now a Radio City Rockette.|
|Melanie Farber is a dancing fairy for Tinkerbell's float in Disney World's Electrical Light Parade!||Trevor Sones is currently on the national tour of Beauty and the Beast.||Megan Chizek performed in Oklahoma City Repertory Theater's
co-production of South Pacific.
|Carey Segal is dancing on Royal Caribbean's Voyager of the Sea.|
|Alexandra Cooney is dancing on Norwegian Cruise Lines!||Julianne Byun is a Miami Heat dancer!||Elise Christine is a Cleveland Cavalier Girl!||Siobhan Campbell is captain for the Carolina Panthers Cheerleaders and performed at the Super Bowl.|
|Congratulations to the following dancers who now have agency representation: Maci Arms (MSA), Rachel Brown (Bloc), Cat Cogliandro (MSA)*, Kristy Hall (Bloc), Pam Leary (MSA)*, Katie Taintor (MSA)*, and Lizz Picini (CTG)!
*Denotes students who were offered representation at our mock auditions.